(Nov 2011 to June 2012)
Respected Chairperson and Sathi,
Socialist Yuvjan Sabha (SYS) will be completing its first year on 21st Aug 2012.
The last report I had submitted was from 21st Aug 2011 till 30th Oct 2011.I hereby would like to submit report from Nov 2011 onwards
1. Protest against inflation 9th Nov 2011
Members of SYS along with members of SPI held a public protest against inflation at Senapati Bapat statue at Pune.
2. Protest against Vijay Mallya 23rd Nov 2011
SYS held impressive public protest against government’s decision to offer subsidized loan to liquor baron Vijay Mallya’s bankrupt airline King Fisher.
3. Participation in anti FDI bandh 1stDec 2012
Dr Vaidya actively supported anti FDI bandh on behalf of SPI and SYS and also participated in a rally on the request of the President of Pune Merchants Chamber.
4. SYS National convention 18th Dec 2011
Just within 4 months of its formation SYS held its first national convention on 18th Dec 2011 at Shahid Bhagatsing Nagar, Sane Guruji Smarak , Rashtra Seva Dal, Pune. The convention was chaired by Dr Abhijit Vaidya. SPI’s national general secretary Dr Premsing and treasurer Jayantibhai Panchal were the chief guests. It was attended by George Jecob, Prof Mahato, Sachidanand and many office bearers of SPI Maharashtra, Pune district, Pune city, office bearers of Arogya Sena, Akhil Bharatiya Samajwadi Adhyapak Sabha and Rashtra Seva Dal. An Appeal to Youths to join socialist party through SYS written by Dr Vaidya was published in 3 languages. A 10 point Youth manifesto prepared by Dr Vaidya was also published in 3 languages. The convention was attended by around 300 youths from 9 states and 9 districts of Maharashtra.
5. SYS demands renaming of Pune university as Dnyanjyoti Savitribai Phule Vidyapeeth 2nd Jan 2012
Dr Vaidya expressed support to a joint action committee fighting for this demand and SYS actively participated in Dharne andolan.
6. SYS study circle Ex Vice chancellor Dr Ram Takawale’s lecture 2nd Jan 2012 Ex Vice chancellor of Pune university and Indira Gandhi open university Dr Ram Takawale delivered a lecture on Democratic Socialistic education and modern society at S.M.Joshi Socialist Foundation which was well attended and received wide publicity.
7. Participation in the protest rally at Jaitapur against nuclear plant 26th Jan 2012
SYS, SPI Pune and Arogya Sena sent around 20 volunteers by a special bus to participate in a rally at Jaitapur against proposed nuclear plant. Arogya Sena extended generous aid for the tour. A massive rally of around 7000 locals was held there under leadership of our party’s National President Bhai Vaidyaji.
8. Pune PMC and ZP elections Feb2012
8 candidates, 7 for PMC and 1 for ZP, contested these elections through SPI. SYS actively participated in their campaigns, collected fund of Rs 1 lac with the help of Arogya Sena, some of which was sent even for UP elections. Though we failed to get impressive votes it must be admitted that these elections certainly have created a solid ground for our party and people looked at our party with respect and media recognized SPI as a party with difference. We have already started our preparations for coming assembly and next PMC elections.
9. Redefinition of poverty line and resignation of Dr Ahluwalia 7th March 2012
Dr Vaidya took a press conference condemning government of India’s new definition of poverty line. Resignation of Dr Ahluwalia was also demanded for misleading the country and denying poverty and BPL status to crores of poor.
10. First anniversary of Fukushima nuclear disaster 11th March 2012
SYS, SPI and Arogya Sena held a massive public protest along with some leftist trade unions on this day to protest against Kudankulam and Jaitapur nuclear projects at Tilak Putala, Pune
11.Issue of evacuation of slum dwellers at Sadashiv Peth, Pune 12th March 2012
SYS took up the issue of unlawful evacuation of around 35 families at Sadashiv Peth, Pune. After prolonged representations and discussions with PMC authorities ultimately all were allocated acceptable alternative accommodation.
12. Protest against Maharashtra Government’s directive to increase revenue through sale of liquor 19th March 2012
SYS, SPI and Arogya Sena held a protest under leadership of Dr Vaidya against Maharashtra Government’s decision to increase revenue through sale of liquor. Dr Vaidya in his speech strongly condemned this decision telling the government not to make Madyarashtra of Maharashtra. He also stated that any state or nation should be ashamed if it’s economy is based on revenues earned through sale of things like liquor or tobacco which are responsible for ruining lives of millions.
13. Protest against venomous campaign against Mahatma Gandhi on Radio Mirchi 29th March 2012 SYS made a vociferous protest against Radio Mirchi broadcasting an interview of an actor playing the role of Nathuram in a Marathi drama ‘Mi Nathuram Godse Boltoy’ justifying Mahatma’s murder. This agitation was led by SPI’s Maharashtra general secretary Varsha Gupte, Arogya Sena’s national general secretary Laxmikant Mundada, SYS city president Manoj Mane and large number of members of all the 3 organisations. The protesters gave a strong letter of condemnation written by Dr Vaidya to the station chief. Eventually Radio Mirchi had to stop the broadcast.
14. Homage to Shri S.M.Joshi 1st April 2012
All the office bearers of SYS, SPI and Arogya Sena paid homage to great socialist leader and our inspiration Shri S.M. Joshi on his death anniversary by holding a program at his statue at Pune.
15. Law exam hall ticket issue 1st April 2012
Hundreds of law students appearing for exams at Pune received Hall tickets without mention of many subjects. SYS took up the issue, city president Manoj Mane and Nihar Vaidya held a press conference, submitted a representation to the vice chancellor and forced Pune University to rectify the blunder.
16. Demand for Vilasrao Deshmukh’s resignation 7th April 2012
Noted film maker Subhash Ghai was allotted huge piece of land at a very nominal rate flouting all the rules and regulations for his private film institute Whistling Woods, by the then CM of Maharashtra Mr Vilasrao Deshmukh. Dr Vaidya demanded his resignation and re acquisition of the land by the state government.
17. Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar Lokadhikar Abhiyan 11th to 14th April 2012
Office bearers and members of SYS participated on large scale in this SPI’s drive. The drive was kick started at the hands of Dr Vaidya on 11th April, Mahatma Phule’s death anniversary at PMC in the presence of SPI state general secretary Sanjay Gaikwad, Varsha Gupte, treasurer PNV Krishnan, SPI city president Adv Nirpharake along with around 25 party workers. It ended on 14th April i.e. Dr Ambedkar’s birth anniversary.
18Participation in Arogya Adalat 16th April 2012
SYS participated actively in special Arogya Adalat held by Arogya Sena and Rashtra Seva Dal on ‘ Are our children becoming violent?’ This was after gruesome kidnapping and murder of a 10th std student from Dighi near Pune, by his own friends for money. Office bearers of Arogya Sena Santosh Jadhav and Ravi Chavan who helped police to catch the murders were also felicitated. It was attended by around 200 parents.
19. Denial of admission to 21 students to 1st std on trivial grounds 20th April 2012 St Xavier’s and Sun Grace schools denied admission to their own students to 1st std on some flimsy grounds. SYS took up the issue, city president Manoj Mane and Nihar Vaidya held a press conference and protests. Dr Vaidya gave written stern warning to the management. Nearly all the students were given admission by the school management.
20. Pune Pani Hakka Samiti 14th April to 25th May 2012
Pune has faced acute and unprecedented shortage of water this summer for which private city project Lavasa, backed by Sharad Pawar is largely responsible. Ex MP Shri Prakash Ambedkar,National President of Bha Ri Pa Bahujan Mahasangh and Dr Abhijit Vaidya decided to join hands on this issue along with CPI, CPM, Janata Dal and some NGO’s. Pune Pani Hakka Samiti was formed. A workshop for workers was organized at Sane Guruji Smarak, Rashtra Seva Dal on 25th May which was chaired by Dr Vaidya and addressed by Prakash Ambedkar. A joint press conference was taken on 7th May. After this SPI and SYS addressed at least 10 corner meetings independently across Pune city for public awakening. A huge conference was organized at Natygriha, Rashtra Seva Dal on 13th May which was addressed by Magsesay award winner Shri Rajendra Sing
21. Protest against expansion of BRT, Pune 15th May 2012
SYS and SPI held an impressive protest lead by Dr Vaidya at Swargate bus stand attended by Varsha Gupte, Krishnan, Nirpharake, Dr Ketkar, Mundada, Prof Dalvi, Gitram Kadam, Rani Kamble, Sandhya Bahirat, Katti, Benuskar, Sonawani etc
22. Kerala state conference of SYS 20th May 2012
Kerala state conference of SYS was held at Kottayam. It was chaired by Dr Abhijit Vaidya.Dr Ketkar, Geroge Jacob, SPI state president Adv Rajshekharan Nayar and around 50 workers from various parts of the state were present. Lijoy Thomas was elected as the state conveyor for SYS.
23. Tour to survey drought hit areas from Pune district 22nd and 23rd May 2012
Dr Vaidya along with SPI Pune district president Mr Gitram Kadam toured villages from drought hit Purandar and Shirur talukas from Pune district to understand the reality. A press conference was addressed by Dr Vaidya in presence of SPI state gen secretary Sanjay Gaikwad, Varsha Gupte, Krishnan, Nirpharake and 15 party workers on 2nd June 2012 to present the data regarding drought status of Maharashtra state and to declare action plan of the party.
24. Protest against petrol price hike 25th May 2012
SYS and SPI organized protest lead by Dr Vaidya against petrol price rise by unveiling portrait of Common man stabbed by our finance minister.
25. Participation in Arogya Adalat on rotten grain being distributed through ration 27th May 2012
SYS participated in Arogya Adalat chaired by Dr Vaidya on the above issue. A decision to hold a public protest outside FDO was taken.
26. Protest against rotten grain distributed through rationing system outside FDO office, Pune 30th May 2012
SYS participated in this protest lead by Dr Vaidya. Other members who participated were Dr Ketkar, Varsha Gupte, Laxmikant Mundada, Prof Dr Mrs Vaidya, Prof Dalvi, Atul Runwal, Santosh Jadhav, Sandhya Bahirat,Katti, Benuskar, Pooja Bahirat etc Suspension of FDO till complete enquiry in to the matter was demanded. A letter written by Dr Vaidya was sent to Food and distribution minister.
27. Participation in SPI’s national workshop at Sevagram 8th,9th and 10th June 2012
20 office bearers of SYS along with some office bearers of SPI, Maharashtra and around 15 SYS members from various states have participated in this workshop. Arogya Sena has extended generous aid for this tour.
28. Proposed rally at Pune against Jaitapur nuclear plant
SYS, SPI and Arogya Sena have planned a rally at Pune against Jaitapur nuclear plant on 16th June 2012. Many leftist parties, trade unions and organizations will participate in this rally. SPI Ratnagiri president and Jaitapur anuprakalp virodhi andolan leader Bal Patankar will be participating in this rally along with our party workers from Jaitapur. Admiral Ramdas and Justice Kolse Patil are also expected to participate.
29. Propsed screening of a documentary ‘Jaybhim Comrade’ through SYS study circle on 2nd July 2012
SYS study circle is planning to screen this documentary produced and directed by noted film maker Anand Patwardhan. This documentary exposes hypocrisy of Hindutvavadi forces in our country.
30. Proposed trophy’s in the name of Dr Lohiya, S.M.Joshi and Smita Patil
We are happy to announce trophy’s in the name of Dr Lohiya for debate, S.M.Joshi for elocution and Smita Patil for the best social documentary from this year onwards for undergraduate students. I appeal to all the state branches of SYS to replicate the same. Stress should be given on themes revolving around our political ideology while selecting the subjects.
With this announcement I end this brief report of the progress of SYS. Looking at this report of activities of SYS I hope that you all will appreciate one thing that we have sincerely tried to follow Dr Lohiya’s Trisutri. I am also aware of the fact that this report is mainly of activities of SYS from Pune and Maharashtra. But we have certainly tried our best to touch many vital national issues along with many state level and local issues. The local issues taken up by SYS though apparently local have wider implications and are applicable to any place in our country. But we certainly need to expand our activities across the country. I hereby request all the members of SYS to report activities from their states at least every monthly to our national headquarters from Pune. I also request SYS office bearers from various states to hold state level conferences at the earliest and establish ad hoc committees. I will try to be present for these conferences. We also have to establish branches in many other states. I am sure if we really proceed with same determination and all the senior comrades of our party also decide to help us, in a year’s time we will be able to establish branches of SYS in all the states where our party has already established its branches. Future of Socialist Party of India lies in Socialist Yuvjan Sabha.
Jai Hind, Jai Bharat!
Dr Abhijit Vaidya MD; IPT-Cardiology
National President, Socialist Yuvjan Sabha
8th June 2012, Sevagaram, Vardha